Sunday, January 25, 2009

Children Teaching Their Parents



Have you every heard of the saying "I would rather see a sermon than hear a sermon?" I am sure you have, but if not, then let me explain. Everybody can learn from a sermon, but a lesson can be learned very easily by illustration or example. Let me be the first to say I love to hear the Word spoken by everyone who stands up and proclaims it at Bear Valley. There are many talented preachers and teachers that I have learned so much from. This Sunday morning was no different. Neal Pollard, as he consistently does, delivered a very scriptural and motivating sermon.
However, there was another sermon presented to me, before Neal even got up to speak. And it was a good one, or else I would not be writing about it. It was by a little five year old boy named Caleb sitting on the pew to my left. Caleb has a job with the Bear Valley Bible Institute as the Junior Librarian. His salary is $1 per week, and his task is to maintain and organize the children's' books.
As Caleb was going through his Bible and Bible case, he came across two dollars. We realized Caleb was missing a few bucks, but we had no idea where they were. Needless to say Caleb was thrilled to be reunited with his earnings. But what happened next thrilled me. Without any instructions or guidance regarding what to do with the two dollars, Caleb simply put one of his two dollars in the collection plate. Not only did he do this on his own, but he was extremely happy in his giving. He instantly made an impact with his father. I learned a few things in watching my son. The first was to be a cheerful giver, and second was to give liberally. My son was happy to make a contribution. And he was not concerned with giving half of his money.
Brett Petrillo, a fellow student at BVBID, said in class last week that parents can learn from their children. I have to say that is an understatement. I did not just learn from my son, but I was touched forever.

No comments: