Sunday, January 4, 2009

The Greatest Gifts Sometimes Come in the Smallest Packages




"Every good thing given and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father"


James 1:17


On December 26th 2008, my lovely wife Wanda Gail gave birth to our third son: Jacob William Coker. Jacob's birth was a bit overdue, and though she was miserable, she had no choice but to patient.

Jacob's birthdate, and his name, has some significance, especially to Wanda and her family. Wanda was very close to her father, named Joseph, but everyone called him "J. W." He past away when Wanda was a freshmen in high school. It was a very hard loss for her and her family.

Wanda and I had already come to the first name Jacob, but we were stuck without a middle name. We decided William in order for the initials to resemble her father's. So the name resemblance was planned, but what wasn't planned was uniquely coincedental. Jacob William Coker was born on the 26th of December, and this also was Wanda Gail's father's birthday.

Jacob's birth was also a very meaningful one to me. Of course, Caleb's and Mason's births were meaningful as well, but due to external circumstances, and internal conflict and immaturity, I have long regreted how I dealt with those situations.


But awaiting Jacob's arrival, I was completely content with my life, and there was nothing to hinder my excitement about Jacob's arrival. UNTIL Wanda was on her way for a regular checkup, and she got in a wreck. Thankfully, no one was hurt, but our car was completely undriveable. My tranquil life quickly vanished with worries of no money, no car, around Christmas time, no sleep, and my wife being due anyday! I was beginning to think that I would not enjoy the birth of my last son. Due to these worries, my study habits were subpar to say the least (this explains the long time between my blogs). I felt hopeless.


Job 14:1 has long been one of my favorite scriptures.


"Man born of a woman is few of days, and full of trouble"

But the Bible stresses perseverance, as well as reliance on the Lord. Without getting into much detail, I enjoyed the birth of Jacob in the manner that I had hoped due to the love and help that I recieved from my church family. Being so far away from home has not separated me and my family from the promises the Lord makes to provide for us while we seek first His kingdom.


I wanted this blog to be a thank you for those who have helped us through such a trying time, as well as a testimonial to how God provides for us, even when we don't see how. Jacob's arrival was a very joyous one thanks to the saints at Bear Valley, St. Augustine, and Tallahassee. I love my God, my family, and my brothers and sisters in Christ. Thank you again. This has been a great learning and matruing process for me.




No comments: